Curry Coconut and Lemongrass Chickpea Soup
Super flavorful Coconut Curry and Lemongrass Chickpea Soup made in a slow cooker is our kind of cold-weather food 😊🥣 Loving the cozy feels.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time4 hr
- Total Time4 hr 20 min
- Yield4-6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced carrots (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped lemongrass or 1/4 cup lemon juice
- One 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (canned garbanzo beans will work)
- One 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Steamed rice, for serving
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, onions, carrots; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add the curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic and lemongrass; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Place the onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Pour in the vegetable broth. Stir in the chickpeas and coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve with rice.