Not Your Grandma’s Bread Pudding
Topped with a creamy bourbon sauce, you won't believe how good this comforting bread pudding recipe is.
- Prep Time30 min
- Cook Time45 min
- Total Time1 hr 15 min
- Serving Size150g
- Energy1,560 cal
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 loaves French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 13 cups)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the bread pudding:
In a large bowl, whisk together the cream and eggs. Add the brown sugar, raisins, butter, cinnamon, ginger and 1 cup granulated sugar. Mix well. Gently stir the bread cubes into the egg mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Pour the bread mixture into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile for the bourbon sauce:
Combine the confectioners’ sugar, bourbon, butter, milk and cinnamon in a medium saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened and no longer watery, 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve with the bread pudding warm, at room temperature or chilled.